- News of the day
Wednesday 23 April 1890
A collision took place at about half-past 5 in Queen street, near the foot of Wharf street, last night, between a springcart driven by Mr. M. J. Gallagher, of Downfall Creek, and a dogcart driven by Mr. G. Warlow, Stanley street.
It appears that the vehicles were travelling in opposite directions, when the horse attached to the dogcart shied at a passing tramcar, and drove the shaft into the side of Mr. Gallagher's horse, inflicting a deep wound. A veterinary surgeon was at once sent for, and on his arrival he ordered the destruction of the horse.
The owner of the injured horse stated that he paid £15 for the animal not long ago. From the force of the collision, Mr. Warlow was thrown out of his dogcart and slightly cut his forehead. His horse received no injury.
The Treasury was erected in three stages between 1886 and 1928. In 1883, a design competition for a two-storeyed building was won by Melbourne architects Grainger and D'Ebro. However this design was never used as the Queensland Colonial Architect, John James Clark, argued that the site warranted a four-storeyed complex built in stages.. Clark's own neo-Italianate design, entered in the competition prior to his appointment, was used. Clarke is also known for his earlier work on the Old Treasury Building in Melbourne and other public works in Perth.
The first stage of the building to be completed was the William Street and part of the Queen St frontages and was built by the Phippard Brothers. When completed in September 1889, the new building was occupied by the Premier, Colonial Secretary, Registrar-General, Treasury, Mines, Works, Police and Auditor-General. The construction of stage two, which completed the Elizabeth Street section, was commenced almost immediately and was completed by February 1893. This new wing was occupied by the Registrar of Titles, Justice, Works, Public Instruction and the State Savings Bank. The final stage of construction was started in 1922 and the Queen and George street frontages were officially opened in 1928, providing additional space for the existing occupants. In 1961, a five-storey annexe was built in the courtyard.
Courtesy of Queensland Heritage Register