The Rainbow Hotel was the largest of three hotels built on the main thoroughfare between Gladstone and Kroombit Station. Built in the early 1850’s, the hotel closed in 1902. A sad story, O’Reilly, the owner, had fenced off a small area close to the pub intended for the family plot. However, after his unexpected death, O’Reilly was buried in Gladstone; his wife and son later laid to rest in the twin graves on the site. Unfortunately the original ruin of the Hotel itself was disturbed by the construction of a gas pipeline in 2013. It is now marked by interpretative signage and the restored graves of the O'Reillys that QGC (the gas company) instated as part of their restoration project.
- News of the day
Central Telegraph News Item
Following the destruction of the ruins of the Rainbow Hotel in 2013, the local newspaper ran two articles detailing the efforts of local history enthusiasts and QGC (the gas company) to reinstate some of the site's history.
- Additional Image
This picture probably shows the remains of the large kitchen and chimney at one end of the Rainbow Hotel.