- News of the day
Selection of Langmorn land
Seven blocks of land on the terminated lease of Langmorn run, situated fifty miles to the west of Gladstone and forty miles to the south of Rockhampton, aggregating 30,648 acres 2 roods 35 perches, and described as portions 7v, 8v, 9v, 10v, 11v, 12v, and 13v, were thrown open to grazing selection at the Rockhampton Lands Office yesterday. The rent of portion 13v was 1d per acre per annum: of portions 9v, 10v, and 11v, 1¼d,: and of portions 7v, 8v, and 12v, 1½d. The whole of the blocks were taken up by sons of Mr Creed, the late lessee of the run, and who, in fact, were the only applicants. All, with the exception of portions 8v, and 11v, were taken up as grazing selections. Portions 9v and 11v, however, were selected as grazing homesteads. The names of the selectors and the areas each secured are as follows: - Portions 9v and 11v, 8330 acres, S. J. A. Creed: portion 11v, 3400 acres, R. Creed: portions 13v and 12v, 7350 acres, T. Creed: portion 7v, 5422 acres 2 roods 35 perches, T. R. A. Creed: portion 8v 6146 acres, G. A. Creed.
Langmorn Homestead is the residence and associated outbuildings of a pastoral property located in the Port Curtis Hinterland and was established in 1869 by Thomas Creed and his family.
The region in which Langmorn is located was first explored by Charles and William Archer in 1853. Two years later, William Landsborough also explored the region, taking up the run of Raglan in the same year. It was managed by Landsborough's sons, James and John, with James occupying the property with his family. By 1862, he had acquired sole ownership of Raglan which then comprised 200 square miles on which sheep were run. By 1865, Raglan had been sold and passed wholly into the ownership of the Bank of New South Wales by 1868. In this year the Crown Land Alienation Act was passed which enabled the Government to resume half the area of large runs to permit closer settlement. The Bank consolidated the property in 1869, selling the south western portion to brothers Thomas and George Creed. They named the new property Langmorn and operated it as a cattle run. From accounts in Thomas Creed's diaries, there appears to have been a continuing relationship between the two properties, with landmarks on Raglan also being used by Langmorn as meeting and resting points.
At first the Creeds lived in an existing house, presumably built for Raglan, but in May 1873 a homestead was constructed for them by a Mr Pershouse. In 1877 this was substantially enlarged by William Semfel with assistance from station workers. Timber for the construction and additions to the homestead was cut on the property, although pine planks were ordered for the later work from the Calliope Sawmill.
Courtesy of the Queensland Heritage Register